Connect with us

FA Youth Cup

QPR Produce a spirited  performance to come from behind to knock Tottenham out the FA Youth Cup

[Ian Randall via QPR]

Two goals from Teddy Lawrence and a Kieran Petrie goal were enough for QPR to progress onto the next round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3 – 1 away win against Tottenham Hotspur.

Both teams came into the game aiming to win the competition. Last season, Tottenham were knocked out in fifth round by Wolves. Meanwhile, QPR were knocked out in the fourth round by Bournemouth.


QPR started the game with the right purpose. Samuel Sackey’s shot hit the crossbar in the fourth minute. Four minutes later Rayan Kolli missed a massive chance to give his side the lead. He dispossessed Morgan and went round the keeper, however, he took a little too long to get his shot away and it was eventually blocked.

In the 15th minute, Akhamrich dragged his shot wide of the QPR goal from a quick counter attack.

Tottenham were constantly using the width to create chances, but the visitors defended really well.

20 minutes into the game, Tyrese Hall’s effort by the edge of the box cannoned off the crossbar. Then the rebound fell to Kyerematen inside the box and his shot came off the left hand side of Harry Cant’s post.

Just before the break Sackey and Hall both missed big chances for their respective teams. 

Early in the second half Kyerematen carried the ball and then he released Jamie Donley. The Northern Irishman cut onto his right foot and his shot clipped the woodwork. This was the third time of the night that Stuart Lewis’s side have hit the woodwork.

Tottenham opened the scoring on the hour mark. Kyerematen’s effort by the edge of the box squirmed through Harry Cant’s hands into the net to give Spurs the lead.

QPR pushed for an equaliser. Teddy Lawrence and Rayan Kollie were guilty of missed chances.

In the 88th minute QPR finally got their equaliser scored by Teddy Lawrence. He tapped in from close range after a scramble inside the Tottenham box.

[Ian Randall via QPR]

Kollie could have won it for his side deep into stoppage time. His effort struck the underside of the crossbar after a lay off by Petrie. 

The full time whistle blew for extra time as both teams were suffering from fatigue.

QPR started the first half of extra in the ascendancy. Lorent Talla forced Luke Gunter into a fantastic save.

Soon afterwards, Michael Hyde’s side persistence paid off as Petrie tapped in from close range from a cross to give QPR the lead for the first time of the night. Alfie Tuck delivered a brilliant ball across the face of goal which Petrie had the composure to put the ball past Gunter. 

[Ian Randall via QPR]

Tottenham pushed for an equaliser very late into second half of extra time. Teddy Lawrence wrapped up the victory for his side in the 118th minute. He exploited the spaces Spurs left at the back to score his second and his side’s third goal of the evening. Securing a famous victory for Rangers against a Premier League South side. 


Michael Hyde’s side have booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup. They will travel away to Luton Town in the next round. 

Latest News

More in FA Youth Cup