Connect with us

FA Youth Cup

FA Youth Cup: West Ham see off ten-man Ipswich in Quarter-Final

[Credit: West Ham FC]

West Ham beat Ipswich Town 4-2 in the FA Youth Cup Quarter-Finals to ensure they will make their first semi-final appearance in the competition since 1999.

Callum Logan’s 30th minute sending off for Ipswich proved to be a turning point for the category two side and the in-form Hammers capitalised with goals from Gideon Kodua, George Earthy, Ryan Battrum and Divin Mubama.

West Ham have been flawless in the league so far as they are already 15 points clear in the U18 Premier League South. They will be hoping they can add to their impending league title with a Youth Cup victory.


Ipswich made a confident start to the first-half and after six minutes they went ahead after Finley Barbrook’s header from a Jack Manly free-kick flew past Mason Terry to put Ipswich in front.

Manly came close to doubling Ipswich’s lead nine minutes later as he got on the end of a ball from Gerard Buabo but his shot was straight at Terry this time.

Nico Valentine also went close for Ipswich in the 32nd minute but his low shot from outside of the box was well saved.

However, only a minute later, Callum Logan, who was the last man in defence, misjudged the flight of the ball and took down Earthy, which resulted in a straight red card.

West Ham capitalised on the extra man advantage in the 40th minute as Callum Marshall’s saved shot rebounded back to captain Kodua, who headed home from close range.


West Ham came close to going ahead in the 54th minute as Mubama’s header was well saved after a delightful left-footed cross from Regan Clayton.

Although they boasted the extra man, West Ham struggled to find fluency in the early stages of the second half and after 68 minutes the Tractor Boys went ahead after a 20 yard strike from Valentine flew into the bottom right corner.

However, West Ham bounced straight back two minutes later as Marshall trickled a low cross to the back post, which left an empty net for Earthy to bring the Hammers back on to level terms.

Marshall came close to breaking Ipswich hearts in the 98th minute but his header crashed against the crossbar, meaning the tie went into extra time.


Nine minutes into extra-time, Oliver Scarles drove inside from the edge of the box onto his right-foot but he was denied by a one-handed stop from Ipswich goalkeeper Williamson.

West Ham went ahead in the 115th minute as Marshall laid the ball back to the substitute Ryan Battrum on the edge of the box and he was able to put the ball into Williamson’s bottom left corner. Battrum’s goal was his first at youth-team level.

Mubama scored in the last kick of the game as he was put through and smashed home a left-footed strike in the 128th minute to confirm West Ham’s place in the semi-finals.

Latest News

More in FA Youth Cup