Connect with us

FA Youth Cup

FA Youth Cup: Seven-time winners Arsenal progress to the last four of the FA Youth Cup

[Credit: David Price]

Cambridge United’s impressive FA Youth Cup run ended at the quarter-final stage as Arsenal edged out a 3 – 2 win at the Emirates Stadium

What happened?

Arsenal had the first real chance of the match as Cozier-Duberry pounced on a mistake from Cambridge’s left-back Sandiford. He jinked past two Cambridge players’ box cut onto his left foot and then dragged his shot just wide of the right-hand post.

Jack Wilshere’s side took the lead in the 8th minute. Ethan Nwaneri lashed the ball into the back of the net after good work from Lewis Skelly, who drove the ball towards the opponent’s half. He then released Cozier-Dubbery, who lifted a cross into the path of Omari Benjamin, who then laid it off for Nwaneri to finish expertly.

Benjamin could have extended Arsenal’s lead as he headed the ball just wide of the goal after a good delivery from left-back Lino Souza.

A few minutes later, Brandon Njoku had the chance to give Cambridge an equaliser. However, his shot went well over Noah Cooper’s goal. 

Cambridge United equalised in the 25th minute. A corner was swung in from the left, and unfortunately, Josh Robinson headed into his own net to draw the Young U’s level.

Second Half

The second half commenced, and Cambridge United had a massive chance to go ahead for the first time in the 47th minute. A free kick was whipped from the right, and Njoku skied his effort from close range.

Cambridge was the better side in the second half, as Arsenal struggled to gain a foothold since the interval.

Cambridge United took the lead in the match for the first time in the 69th minute. A corner was taken from the right, which was headed out, and then McConnell floated a pass into the path of Kai Yearn, who tucked away from close range to give his side the lead.  

[Credit: Julian Finney]

Two minutes after the visitors took the lead, they conceded a penalty after Lino Souza was fouled in the box. Cozier-Duberry stepped up to take the spot kick, and he calmly placed his penalty kick to the bottom left corner scraping the gloves of Finch.

A minute later, after Arsenal’s quick response, Cambridge nearly retook the lead as Kai Yearns long-range effort crashed the underside of the bar.

As the match approached, extra time Arsenal started to take more control as the Cambridge players began to tire.

Cozier-Duberry had an effort inside the box dragged just wide in the 92nd minute.

Arsenal got the winner very late in the game, as it was an unfortunate own goal from Tom Finch. Lino Souza delivered a brilliant cross from deep into the path of Rosiak, whose shot cannoned off the post into Finch and then into the net.

Arsenal progressed into the semi-finals, where they will find out their opponents in due course.

Latest News

More in FA Youth Cup