Connect with us

FA Youth Cup

Arsenal edge out 10-man Manchester City in FA Youth Cup Final

[Credit: Alex Davidson]

Myles Lewis-Skelly netted the winning goal deep into the second half of extra time as Arsenal earned a 2 – 1 victory against Manchester City to reach the final of this year’s FA Youth Cup.

Goals from Michael Rosiak and Myles Lewis-Skelly were enough for Arsenal to reach their 10th final in history, despite Justin Oboavwoduo pulling one back for Manchester City.

Arsenal qualified for the semi-finals by overcoming a hard-fought 3 – 2 victory against category three side Cambridge United.

Manchester City cruised to a 3 – 0 victory against Oxford United in the quarter-finals to progress to the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup.

What Happened?

Manchester City didn’t have the best start to the game as Lakyle Samuel received his marching orders in the 6th minute. The right-back got on the wrong side of his striker and brought him down, giving the referee no choice but to send him off.

From the resulting free kick, Michal Rosiak curled a free kick from 20 yards past George Murray-Jones into the top corner to give Jack Wilshere’s side the lead, and this was his fourth goal of the competition. 

[Credit: Stuart MacFarlane]

Manchester City had a huge chance to respond in the 19th minute. Arsenal won a corner, but it was overplayed, and Justin Oboavwoduo ran the length of the pitch unchallenged to get a shot on goal; however, he poked wide of goal after getting the better of his opponent. A minute later, Will Dickson goes close as the ball deflected into his path, but his shot goes just wide of the far post.

Manchester City controlled large spells of the game, but Arsenal did cause some problems for Ben Wilkinson’s side on the counter. 

Arsenal had a chance to extend their lead in the 60th minute. Manchester City gave the ball away, which allowed Amario Cozier-Duberry to break away, twisting and turning his opponent inside the box, he then got his shot away, but it went well over the bar.

In the 70th minute, Cozier-Duberry released Omari Benjamin through on goal, and despite being pushed wide, he managed to get his shot away. George Murray-Jones came out to make the crucial save.

Manchester City got their equaliser five minutes later, and Justin Oboavwoduo converted it. Joel Ndala plays in Jacob Wright, and then he delivers a low cross to the back post to Nico O’Reilly, who then passes into the path of Oboavwoduo to tap it into the net to draw City level in this semi-final tie.

The first semi-final of the FA Youth Cup tie ended 1 – 1 between the two teams as the match went into extra time. 

The first half of extra time had minimal chances as both sides started feeling fatigued. Arsenal dominated most of the ball but struggled to break down ten men of Manchester City. 

The second half of extra time commenced, and both teams had half chances from Nwaneri and Ogwuru, respectively.

Manchester City defended exceptionally well to keep Arsenal at bay in this second half of extra time. 

Myles Lewis-Skelly scored a dramatic last-minute winning goal for Jack Wilshere’s side. Bradley Ibrahim chipped a floated ball into the box, and Lewis-Skelly rose highest to head home ahead of the on-rushing Murray-Jones into an empty net. The City players sunk to the floor in heartbreak, whereas the Young Gunners celebrated wildly.

Arsenal overcame a massive test to overcome 10-men Manchester City to reach their first FA Youth Cup Final since 2018 and will be looking to win it for the 8th time since 2009. Arsenal will face either West Ham United or Southampton in the final on Saturday, 29th April.

Latest News

More in FA Youth Cup