Connect with us


UEFA Youth League: Inspired Mainz eliminate Manchester City in the round of 16

Backed by a bouncing Bruchwegstadion, competition debutants Mainz completed a historic upset by eliminating Manchester City thanks to a Philipp Schulz penalty.

[Credit: Mainz05]

Tim Müller’s ferocious left-footed strike opened the scoring and City responded on the stroke of half time, but the controversial penalty was enough to see the German side through.

Benjamin Hoffmann’s team will continue their fairy tale run in the UEFA Youth League when they face FC Porto in the quarter finals.

Mainz upset Barcelona in the play-off round with a sensational penalty shootout win over the Spanish side to book their spot in the knockout stage.

Manchester City enjoyed an unbeaten group stage as they topped Group G with 14 points and scoring 17 goals.

What Happened?

The hosts very nearly took the lead after a matter of moments through a flurry of chances, but Jason Amann’s close range effort was well defended by City.

The visitors seemed rattled by the hostile atmosphere created by the Mainz faithful who roared on throughout the game.

In the 16th minute, Müller ran onto Fritz Engel’s clever ball out wide and the full back rifled the ball into the back of the net to send the home crowd into frenzy.

[Credit: Mainz05]

Eight minutes later and following some nice interplay, Joel Ndala broke free down the left, but the winger couldn’t quite beat the angle and Louis Babatz palmed the ball beyond the near post.

City’s confidence began to build, and the English side looked as comfortable as ever in possession, but they lacked cutting edge in the opening half an hour.

In the 45th minute, Ndala did well once again to beat his man and his shot from the tight angle slid across the face of goal, crashing against the far post and out.

A minute later, Kane Taylor found Justin Oboavwoduo in acres of space out to the right of goal and the forward finished with composure to tie game heading into the interval.

[Credit: Man City]

Five minutes into the second half Mahamadou Susoho brought down substitute Safyan Touré inside the area and the referee controversially blew for a penalty.

Schulz stepped up and fired into the bottom right corner to reinstate the Mainz lead.

After taking the lead for a second time Mainz once again looked assured and started to frustrate Manchester City.

The German side almost doubled their advantage as Aiman Dardari cut inside and then out again but the wide man’s effort flew over the bar with just over 20 minutes to go.

Brian Barry-Murphy’s side kept plugging away as Nico O’Reilly’s flicked header was too high and they remained behind with 12 minutes to play.

In the dying embers of stoppage time, a third consecutive corner flashed across the Mainz box and Babatz had to scramble the ball away to safety.

After nearly five minutes of added time the referee blew the whistle, and the Stadion am Bruchweg erupted as Mainz completed a historic triumph.

The win means Mainz will take on FC Porto in the quarter finals on Tuesday 12th of March.

Latest News

More in Football